Power Reviews: Friendship is Magic

Power Reviews: Friendship is Magic

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » August 10th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Welcome to Power Reviews: Friendship is Magic
Community Reviews with a Deep and Easy format.

This thread is a stockpile of in depth reviews for Naruto fanfiction, done by certain members of the Viridian Dreams Community (and anyone willing, how about you?).

The Power Reviews Index & Guide thread can be found here, and contains links to the Power review threads to the different fandoms. In addition, it holds the format for Power Reviews in case you yourself want to write one for a certain story. Questions should be directed to Psalm of Fire.

Index
-Past Sins - by Pen Stroke | Reviews: 1 | Story Link
Last edited by Psalm Of Fire on August 10th, 2011, 6:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Re: Power Reviews: Friendship is Magic

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » August 10th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Past Sins - General - 250K-ish - Pen-Stroke - Twilight
INDEX | Story Link

18 of 18 Chapters Read (almost complete)

Introduction & Plot
A cult works dark magics in the Everfree forest just outside of ponyville, Celestia’s own school headmaster at their helm. With eyes glowing turquoise like their chosen Godess, their chants begin filling the night air. The scattered magic of Nightmare Moon draws together, their darkness choking the fires of the ritual.

The story has strong themes of loyalty, acceptance, and friendship. The first half will make you go “daaaw” so many times, even as its suspenseful. But, as with every fic I adore, it grows to be both very dark, and very light.

Technical 4/5
Very polished. Occasionally there are forgotten capitalization, maybe 30, across the entire story. A very minor nitpick. Otherwise, scrupulous.

Characters 5/5
All the Mane Cast get good screen time. The characters are dead on, you can hear them speaking their lines.

She (the author) uses background ponies to fill interesting and vital roles, and does so excellently. Every “off character” moment I encountered (which were extremely rare) had good justification later.

On two rare occasions, however, things seem to get strangely dramatic. It feels odd, but for how excellent this story is everywhere else, it didn’t break even my fragile Willing Suspension of Disbelief.

Emotion 5/5
The strong emotional beats come fast, and play all across the spectrum. I laughed (oh Pinkie Pie), I cried, I wanted to punch a pony in the face (a lot), etc. The suspense near the end was so thick, I stayed up till 6:30 am (not normal for me), biting the inside of my cheek to keep my eyes open, so that I could finish.

-

Strength of Language 1/5
True to the source material, the language is anything but vulgar. Don’t think that it neuters the story though; this fic is a prime example why swearing isn’t a necessity.

Strength of Sexuality 1/5
Again, true to the source material (thankfully!).

-

Recommendation 5/5
You probably need to see the show to appreciate everything going on, but it will be good either way.

Personal Opinion 5/5
For the way it played my heart strings, and for the way it used powerful darkness and light. I am not holding this story up as an example of perfection. But I loved it.

Other:
Involves a bit of excellent Celestia and Luna focus, though not till later in the story. But I will not say more, lest I spoil. <3

Closing Thoughts:
Seriously, an amazing story. Not perfection, but very good. IMO: read it. But only when you have a lot of time.

Also, it’s almost complete, so that’s awesome!
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Dechstreme » August 13th, 2011, 9:39 pm

Agreed. :biggrin:
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby Kodra » August 22nd, 2011, 5:49 pm

The emotional whiplash that occurs in this fic was a bit extreme, and I still feel frustrated that Twilight didn't at least get a chance to react to Celestia. Still the fic turned around afterwards and I'm once again hooked.
Kodra

Unread postby Kodra » August 30th, 2011, 3:57 pm

Past Sins is complete. So for all those who only read completed stories, you should check this one out.
Kodra

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion