Familiar Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Familiar Quest

Unread postby Magnificate » June 1st, 2010, 1:33 pm

Familiar Quest

Setting sun painted the empty school corridor in shades of pale red. Her steps were echoing. There was no rational reason to be uneasy. In her three months as a high school student she walked that corridor numerous times. The sun was deep crimson and the only steps she heard were her own. The young woman tightened the grip on her satchel. She looked behind her and saw no one.

She thought she felt something on her shoulder. Warm gaseous hand.

Space instantaneously distorted and among swirls of smoke the high school girl was forced on the floor. Splash. Despite the sudden lack of light her eyes registered ripples on the surface of water. The tips of her hair, her hands and knees were immersed in an ankle-deep pool of water. Split second later she no longer felt the pressure on her shoulder. She could smell the aroma of burned candles and cocoa.

Decision: Split second reaction?

At last, after weeks of neglect I’m able to devote more time to Quests. Familiar Quest’s premise will be similar to Familiar of Zero, both novels and anime were ripe with potential, yet ultimately severe disappointment. Familiar Quest will also be based on a brilliant solo online RPG session I played in. The session was played via communicator, which enabled greater interaction when compared to PBF Quest. Still, I’ll try to capture the excitement I had during the game.

One of the thing that made the session I played in were multiple types of rolls. Fate Rolls to see if the destiny wants to mess with my character or not just yet. ;) We’ve came to love the low results on Fate Rolls, since put new spin on action and kept the pace quick. We’ve also had extremely entertaining Dream Rolls and random assortment of standard degree of success roll. In Familiar Quest you have the right to invoke Fate Rolls to either get some sort of random encounter or to spice up the current scene. If enough people request it, I’ll roll the dice.

Second great aspect of the session was my character. I played as modified Human!Ryoko Asakura from the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Unless there are no objections or other ideas, I propose that she was your character as well. Intelligent, sociable, athletic class representative and model student with great body. Yamato Nadeshiko in the making. Slightly impatient, with affinity to pointy, slashy and stabby objects and a little bit possessive towards her quiet friend, Yuki Nagato.

Meta-Decision: In all probability our character will become a familiar bonded to a mage. The bond could be either weak, moderate or strong. Choose and vote according to your preference. Consider issues like language barriers, empathy, telepathy, privacy, control, synergy bonuses in combat, amplifying the spellcasting of our mage ect.

Meta-Decision: Equipment. Decide what our schoolgirl had with her when she was summoned.

As with Magical Girl Quest, I’ve prepared Familiar Quest Factsheet.
Magnificate

Re: Familiar Quest

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » June 1st, 2010, 7:35 pm

Decision: Look around and listen. What is this place like? What sounds can be heard? Try not to draw attention yet -there is no knowing whose attention might be drawn.

A brilliant idea, Magnificate.
Meta: Ano, I think we should have a moderate to strong bond. As for equipment, it sounds like the schoolgirl was leaving the school after staying late to complete some task, so she should have her schoolbooks, some paper, pens and pencils, and several hairties. Probably a calculator, a ruler, and a half-filled bottle of water; possibly a laptop computer. Almost certainly a planner of some sort.

I am looking forward to this quest. ^.^
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby serbii » June 2nd, 2010, 5:04 am

Split second reatcion: -Blink, swear, close eyes and slowly reopen, swear again-
(Well that's what I'd do, she may be more polite than me.)

Carrying: Handkerchief and/or tissues, tampons, empty bento box, calculator, wallet, phone, ipod, house keys, packet of bobby pins, chemistry text book *cough everworld*
serbii

Unread postby Magnificate » June 2nd, 2010, 2:30 pm

Cold Blood Roll: 2d10=9

Huh…?” – Ryoko shut her eyes tightly to the point of creasing her brows. It didn’t help. Her shoes and the hem of her skirt were soaking wet and she felt the sensation of cold water ebbing around her fingers. – “What…?

Relentless warrior spirit!” – The source of male voice was nearby. – “I implore you, grant me your attention!

The class representative opened her eyes and slowly raised her head. First Ryoko saw fading points of light on the surface of water, which she later realized were burnt candles floating on carved pieces of wood. Then the girl saw the edges of the pool crawling with glimmering, were they insects or tiny origami figures? These flickering shapes were swarming over to the point of origin of the voice. Soundless insects crept up high boots and long cape as their glimmer illuminated a tall figure from below. At the edge of the pool stood a bare-chested young man with his right arm extended towards Ryoko. His facial features were distorted by lighting.

In the corner of her eye the girl, too perplexed to panic, noted the presence of another person.

Decision: Our reaction?

Familiar Quest Factsheet
Magnificate

Unread postby gman391 » June 2nd, 2010, 5:12 pm

Look for the nearest exit. If we have to run I want to know where.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Darkandus » June 2nd, 2010, 7:14 pm

Cold Blood Roll: 2d10=9
May I enquire as to where you got that dice roller?

As for actions: Remain calm, stand up and ask why we were summoned.

If you don't know what the hell is going on it's best to seem like you know what you are doing.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Magnificate » June 2nd, 2010, 7:22 pm

May I enquire as to where you got that dice roller?
I had it made for me years ago for PBF D&D 3.0 arena-style tournament sessions. I still use it for all rolls that require their results to be saved. Link.
Magnificate

Unread postby Dechstreme » June 2nd, 2010, 7:35 pm

Okay, I'm between panicking, which is a reasonable reaction in this case and getting out of wherever Ryoko is, and Asking questions. Not exactly sure they summoners want Ryoko for any GOOD reasons.
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby serbii » June 3rd, 2010, 7:40 am

DON'T grab his hand! We don't agree to anything til we know what's going on! Ask them what just happened.
serbii

Unread postby Magnificate » June 3rd, 2010, 1:57 pm

Cold Blood Roll: 2d10=14
Sense Motive Roll: 2d10=Hidden

Ryoko glanced around in search of a potential escape route. However the area beyond the summoning pool was covered in darkness. Only after her eyes accommodated a little she could gather that the chamber she was in was at least the size of North High gym. She couldn’t discern any doors or gates. Not yet ready to assume that there might night outside, Ryoko thought that the windows must have been covered. Could she be knocked out and abducted by some sort of freak cult? It wouldn’t be an unreasonable theory, if not for the fact that Ryoko didn’t lose consciousness and the glittering shapes that crept up the bare-chested man’s torso. She noticed these were not insects devouring the unknown man, but something best described as runes infusing into his body.

Ardent spirit from the eternal battlefields, hear my call!” – The tall figure repeated his invocation. Immediately afterwards the second person present in the chamber coughed as if to chide the young man.

Ryoko stood up and picked up her completely drenched satchel. The class representative faced the man with the extended hand, his face still obscured, and gathering all her composure asked – “Why am I here?

You have been summoned to aid me as my familiar, noble spirit!” – The summoner answered with confidence. Ryoko lost her words.

Mister Wortier, please, the entity you summoned is evidently corporeal.” – Mature woman interjected. Ryoko placed the source of the voice on her left, further from the centre of the summoning pool than the man called Wortier stood. – “Please, continue.

Denizen of the Netherworld!” – The summoner continued as if he wasn’t interrupted at all.

Familiar Quest Factsheet
Magnificate

Unread postby Darkandus » June 3rd, 2010, 2:44 pm

"Are you stupid or something?"
Darkandus

Unread postby unknown10627 » June 3rd, 2010, 3:01 pm

I don't know man, I think we should give him a high five or something.
unknown10627

Unread postby Dechstreme » June 3rd, 2010, 3:08 pm

"Eh, I think you made a mistake in the spell or curse or whatever it is you are doing because I'm certainly NOT a warrior or spirit or anything of the sort!"
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby gman391 » June 3rd, 2010, 3:29 pm

I'm going to warrior spirit you if you don't tell me whats going on.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby unknown11228 » June 3rd, 2010, 3:43 pm

*flat glare*
*in monotone*
"Explain why I should agree to aid someone who abducted me. I suggest you choose your words carefully, because, oddly, my response to being dragged here against my will involves a lot of anger."
(a bluff but they seem kinda stupid)
unknown11228

Unread postby ewuvi » June 3rd, 2010, 6:19 pm

I, for one, am for the 'Pound It!' option. Because if we are some kind of warrior spirit, we have to be the most chill and over-the-top awesome one that ever existed. Being suspicious of things that happen at the beginning doesn't really seem to make much sense, eh?

We also need some sort of catchphrase...
ewuvi

Unread postby Wittgen » June 3rd, 2010, 6:47 pm

Scream. Scream hysterically. I can't think of any more reasonable reaction than that.
Wittgen

Unread postby ewuvi » June 3rd, 2010, 6:56 pm

Hey, you know, I like that plan ,too!
ewuvi

Unread postby Darkandus » June 3rd, 2010, 7:52 pm

You know what? I'm changing my vote to screaming as well. But on the provision that the sceaming also involves questioning our sanity, the sanity of the situation and contains a great deal of rage at the fact that "IT'S A SCHOOL NIGHT AND I NEED TO STUDY YOU CHURLISH, IRRESPONSIBLE, SELFISH JACKASSES!"
Darkandus

Unread postby serbii » June 4th, 2010, 5:19 am

Yeah, I'm going with Dark on this one.
How dare he summon us on a school night!
serbii

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » June 4th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Decision: Say, as calmly as possible (which, based on other votes, will probably involve screaming) "I am no warrior spirit. Now, I have studying to do, so if you summoned me, send me back!"

While getting that wish would quickly end our quest, it seems like what she would say in such a situation.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Magnificate » June 4th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Sanity Roll: 2d10=18, Pair!
Sense Motive Roll: 2d10=Hidden

ENOUGH!” – Ryoko’s emotional seismograph flatlined into cold rage. – “I am neither warrior spirit nor denizen of the Netherworld. I’m a student you abducted during school night!” – Summoner’s face remained unreadable at that sharp statement. – “You’d better not disturb my evening schedule any longer! SEND ME BACK!

The ritual is irreversible.” – The answer was short. From the perspective of the third person in the room the standoff between the two imposing figures must have been impressive. – “It is in our mutual interest for you to accept that, my lady.” – Ryoko got the impression that Wortier hesitated on the two last words as he didn’t know how to properly address her.

You expect me to agree? This whole situation might be insane, but I certainly am not!” – The class representative retorted. – “If you can’t reverse that ritual, then perform another!

My lady, where would you want to be sent?” – The confident tone of the question left little doubt as to its intentions. Meanwhile, as the last runic shape was infused onto the summoner’s body and dimmed, the chamber lightened up. What Ryoko assumed were modern neon lamps arranged in honeycomb pattern on domed ceiling clashed with heavy unadorned stone arches and arcades. Finally, the class representative saw the young man clearly. Wortier was as handsome as the actor playing the leading role of young Roman officer in a movie Ryoko saw three weeks ago. There even was a trace of a healed scar on his chin. The cape he wore was dark brown, matching the color of his hair.

North High, Nishinomiya, Japan, Earth.” – Ryoko could hear the woman on her left scribing on paper. Ryoko associated her with the profession of the teacher the moment she turned her eyes towards her. Outwardly the most distinctive characteristic of that woman was her haircut. From the midst of her shoulder-length hair single thin braid interwoven with copper wires reached down the floor.

Earth as in one of the speculated elemental planes?

Familiar Quest Factsheet
Magnificate

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 4th, 2010, 7:55 pm

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! You mean you summoned someone from a plane you knew nothing about?! What kind of retard are you?! For all you knew you were going to get a Demon Lord that would have devoured every soul on this planet, plane, dimension... whatever the hell it is! :ka_boom: :eyes_on_fire: :on_fire:
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby gman391 » June 4th, 2010, 9:07 pm

.....Rub forehead there is going to be a headache in our future.

"You know I didn't think it was possible for people to be this stupid. Please tell me you're in special education or something."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby ewuvi » June 4th, 2010, 10:07 pm

Sob uncontrolably about how you'll fail your classes...or at least get a B.
ewuvi

Return to “%s” Quests