LP: Pokemon Rijon Adventures! Now the Pokemon thread.

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

LP: Pokemon Rijon Adventures! Now the Pokemon thread.

Unread postby serbii » October 1st, 2009, 5:23 am

Update 1
Well, it's not really an update, its the start, but it goes with my numbering system.

Let’s Play: Pokemon Rijon Adventures!
Because dedicating this valuable time to uni work is for suckers.
Yes, inspired by Dervon and Dark, and having just read far too many Let’s Plays I’m going to run one.

Pokemon Rijon is a hack of Pokemon Fire Red. It turns out there’s a rather large community of people modifying Pokemon games and creating their own maps/characters/Pokemon, see the infamous Pokemon Quartz.
Pokemon Rijon is actually quite good, proper English (mostly) and everything. It’s still the beta version though, so the game finishes after the elite four, the final version the area of Rijon will be connected to the canon lands, as we will see near the end (provided we get that far). Rijon is an original map/story, no new Pokemon.

Pokemon Rijon can be downloaded at: The “official” site

You need the Fire Red (US version) rom to patch it over.
Also RedChocobo, who did most of the well known Pokemon Let’s Plays is both funnier and a better artist than me, just sit back, enjoy the ride and don’t get your hopes up too much.
Just an FYI the whole pokehax community seems to be very Spanish, hence the prevalence of dodge translations (*cough* Quartz again). Maybe I shouldn’t have picked one of the better games…. Nah, I want something I can stand playing.

Seems unnecessary no? I’ve seen Pokemon Quartz for sale at swap meets, full on gameboy cartridge Pokemon Quartz. It confused me to no end at the time XD

Also I’ll probably assume you have some vague Pokemon knowledge, especially of the first 150, if you have a question, ask.

-Dadada dadada dadada dadada dadada dadada! Da! Daa Da! Daa dadada dadada dadada da!-

My money’s on the Gengar

Wha- hey! I was watching that! :evil: Who won?

Well here we go

I have been looking forward to this day.
It’s quite nice they keep up the You’re-Red’s-kid continuity through out the whole game.

By “less”, try, never again.
I named my journal “The Protagonist” 8-) that’ll confuse anyone who reads it!

Oak!

…wait? Tim?
Witness protection? Son? long lost twin? Clone? CLAMP time distorted oh-that’s-so-wrong clone? Monty Python fan?

/This world/
/People around the world live alongside their Pokemon./
/A lot of people engage in competitive battling/

You know, those who don’t treat them like fighting dogs and roosters

War in Pokemon-land must be freaking terrifying

/study of Pokemon/

Like you Oa- I’m sorry Tim

Horribly maiming the Pokemon of young children in order to take their meagre pocket money? Lets face it gnawing on a Catapie until it passes out shouldn’t be that easy to heal.

Nidoran went back into the ball… wait where is the ball?
Huh, Tim really is a Wizard/Enchanter.

Decision the first!

Image or Image

And what’s our name?
7 Characters max

Ditto with our Rival

Pick our starter too and a nickname (10 characters max)

Evolves into… well that, but bigger, uglier and with a big flower on its back. Final form is a Grass/poison type, poison is a fairly useless type IMHO as there are so few good moves in it and it doesn’t have the advantage over much. Traditionally makes the game easier as it has the type advantage over the first two gyms, however the gyms in the version are different, so it doesn’t really matter.

/it./
Evolves into a flying fire dragon. Fire/Flying type, so grass types tremble at the sight of it, it also negates ground attacks. My first ever Pokemon was a Charmander.
Traditionally is the hardest starter as it’s neutral to the first gym and disadvantaged at the second.

Evolves into a big turtle with a water cannon on its back. Final form is not a dual type.
The mid ground between Bulba and Char in terms of traditional difficulity. Good for smiting Geodudes in tunnels.

Screw planning, pick favourites!

Also an FYI, starters have an 87.5% of being male, my theory is it’s because of breeding in this. The baby is the same species as the mother, except in the case of dittos. It makes it harder to trade starters around early as you can’t get ditto til quite late in Gold/Silver, Diamond/Pearl and Ruby/Sapphire. Most Pokemon that you want to breed (such as Eevee) have a high male ratio.

Also think of (and suggest) of names for things, coming up: Geodudes, Digletts, (God Damn) Zubats, Pidgey, Bellsprout, Paras, Clefairy and if we’re lucky, Vulpix

Thoughts, comments, questions?
(Yeah the images aren’t great quality, I’ll make them nicer next time)
(Word is doing weird things to my spacing >_>)
(Image size, you want small (like the disclaimer) or double (like the other images)
Image or Image
(Naming: Names ALLCAPS or Normal? We need a convention!)
(Think this is a horrid idea?)
Well here goes.... *post*
Last edited by serbii on June 9th, 2010, 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
serbii

Re: Let’s Play: Pokemon Rijon Adventures!

Unread postby Kitsune_Akatsuki » October 1st, 2009, 7:11 am

Charmander!
Kitsune_Akatsuki

Unread postby Dervon » October 1st, 2009, 8:18 am

Charmander! HEAVEN OR HELL, LETS ROCK!

Get a Metapod. Call it *you know what I was going to suggest, oldest pokemon naming joke ever*. Use Harden in battle. :D

But seriously now, if we get a Vulpix I call dibs on "Red Pyro". XD

Can we get a Magicarp in this? If so, please do and name it "Darwin".
Dervon

Unread postby MEKristian » October 1st, 2009, 10:25 am

Let's go with the Fire breathing munchkin. Fire-types tend to be hard-to-come-by anyways.

Tim also shows us the interesting point of "new region, no new characters" which will certainly make things seem far more silly.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby SirKaid » October 1st, 2009, 2:15 pm

Charmander! Call it Arson!

Would it be bad taste to have the trainer be called Slaver? After all, several pokemon are sentient...
SirKaid

Unread postby Darkandus » October 1st, 2009, 2:17 pm

The Charmander! Pick the Charmander! Best starter ever.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby MEKristian » October 1st, 2009, 2:55 pm

Our Rival can only have the name of the man who has caused us the most pain. The man who has beaten us over the head with the absolute worst. Our rival is Kishi.

:leaving:
MEKristian

Unread postby Dervon » October 1st, 2009, 3:29 pm

Our Rival can only have the name of the man who has caused us the most pain. The man who has beaten us over the head with the absolute worst. Our rival is Kishi.

:leaving:
BWAHAHAHA! I'M SECONDING THIS! :animlol:
Dervon

Unread postby Kitsune_Akatsuki » October 1st, 2009, 4:18 pm

*snicker* i say our name should be 'Master' and I second Kishi as the rivals nickname. If the Charmy is a girl somehow, Ember, if a guy, Arson.
Kitsune_Akatsuki

Unread postby ewuvi » October 1st, 2009, 6:58 pm

CHARMANDER!!!

Let's name it Arson, no matter the gender.

We should be named Socks. Or Stinky.
ewuvi

Unread postby ashez2ashes » October 1st, 2009, 7:02 pm

I second Charmander and Kishi.

As for the names... a girl named Ember sounds nice (I figure I should agree with someone's name otherwise everyone will just suggest a different name).
ashez2ashes

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » October 1st, 2009, 7:25 pm

Charmander called Arson/Ember (depending on gender).
Rival is Kishi.
Um, us... Matt? :? (Also, let's go male, since I think most of this forum, uh... is male.)

Basically, I pretty much second everyone's suggestions. :D
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby ewuvi » October 1st, 2009, 7:53 pm

I SAY WE ARE FEMALE NAMED SOCKS!!!

or Stinky.
ewuvi

Unread postby ashez2ashes » October 1st, 2009, 8:49 pm

(Also, let's go male, since I think most of this forum, uh... is male.)
Why assume that?
ashez2ashes

Unread postby serbii » October 1st, 2009, 10:06 pm

(Also, let's go male, since I think most of this forum, uh... is male.)
Why assume that?
More or less regular Female posters (Sorry if I miss anyone): Akki, ewuvi, Quoth, WDM and I.
+ you? >_< sorry I honestly cant remember.
There are a lot more male posters than female.

Ok Charmander named Arson if a guy, Ember if a girl.
Any Vulpix will be named Red Pyro (Vulpix is one of the few I know that has a higher female ratio than male)
Catapie/Metapod shall be named Willie
Our Rival is Kishi
Magikarp named Darwin (Might actually use a Gyarados this time, as despite their mortal fear of powerlines they're horrid to fight against)

Charmander = good, they're my fav of the starters across all the games. I tried not show a preference but I think some of my bulbasaur, not so much dislike as "I think grass types are for the most part pathetic, just go with water" shine through. There are so few good grass moves too >_>
We'll get a bellsprout to take care of geodudes and the water gym. Biggest problem? Vine whip has 10pp, so it runs out really fast. That's why Squirtle > Bulbasaur for tunnels.
If you're wondering I finished this a couple of weeks ago and I'm using my old file to scout ahead and see what's coming up.

I like the name Socks :biggrin1 , unless a couple of people want something else we're going with it.
(Is Socks your default name for everything? Mine is Sparky)
Are we male or female? Still open
There are more guys here than girls, but none of them have ventured an opinion
Honestly I'm leaning very slightly to guy, just because I can have him writing in an unmanly journal.
However girls are easier to draw in the off chance you'll get "art".
Last edited by serbii on October 1st, 2009, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serbii

Unread postby Greybane » October 1st, 2009, 10:07 pm

Of the regular posters we have a slight male bias I believe, but not an extraordinary one.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby MEKristian » October 1st, 2009, 10:30 pm

I'll say we should be male. No real reason for it though.
MEKristian

Unread postby SLAMU » October 2nd, 2009, 7:22 am

I vote Bulbasaur, mostly because it was my first and continues to have a place in my hear for it. (Right next to an aortic valve, in case you care) Name...Seedy? No real opinion. Didn't make a habit of naming things. (Agreed with regards to Darwin, and Willie is...*ahem* no comment. :oops: ) If we get a female Vulpix, we name it Kit-chan. Nidoran (female)= Adora Belle Dearheart. (Going Postal, anyone?)

Trainer, female. No overriding reason, just feel like it.
Trainer name, no opinion. Socks is as good as anything. And if we name ourselves Master, we would have to name our Rival Doctor.

Rival name, no opinion. Slightly leaning towards Seth, although no true opinion.

(Poster is male, for statistics.)
SLAMU

Unread postby Random_fan » October 2nd, 2009, 7:49 am

I say male trainer, name Matt, rival Kishi. As for starter, charmander sounds good I remember it being difficult to get many fire types.
Random_fan

Unread postby Dervon » October 2nd, 2009, 7:51 am

Any Vulpix will be named Red Pyro (Vulpix is one of the few I know that has a higher female ratio than male)
I'd just like to return to this and say that the beauty of this name lies in the fact that Valve are phenomenal trolls (I wish the Guard Dog had been for real... damn it, Valve), making the name a possibly correct choice no matter the gender.

Name the Bellsprout "Pea Shooter"., if there haven't been any suggestions thus far.

Plants Vs Zombies FTW! :D
Dervon

Unread postby MrRigger2 » October 2nd, 2009, 5:23 pm

Though there seems to be an overwhelming Charmander bias, I'm voting Squirtle. I love the little turtles, and Blastoise is great, considering it gets a Dark Move (Bite), Surf, Ice Beam, and one other move.

Rival's Name should definitely be named Kishi.

We need to name at least one of our Pokemon Stubbs. Because Stubbs is a great name.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby ewuvi » October 2nd, 2009, 5:28 pm

Squirtles are cute, too.

Although, we'd have to name it Yertle.
ewuvi

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 2nd, 2009, 5:55 pm

No, we'd name it Raphael.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby MEKristian » October 2nd, 2009, 5:57 pm

I have a Torterra named Leonardo, so yeah...
MEKristian

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 2nd, 2009, 6:00 pm

I named mine Genbu. Oh, and when we get an electric type, probably a pikachu, Raiden.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Return to “%s” Quests